Sunday, December 19, 2010

An Early Christmas Gift

Waaaay back in November (it seems so long ago to me) I felt really rushed to get everything ready for Christmas. I had my neighbor gifts figured out, the ingredients bought, my family gifts purchased and Christmas music playing (softly) in the background, despite Andrew's protests that Thanksgiving was still weeks away. Andrew point blank refused to let me put up the Christmas decorations (thanks, by the way, dear; what a nightmare that would have been on top of last minute packing) but I was chomping at the bit, feeling behind.

Then Steve called with the offer. There really wasn't a debate, we just had to figure out how soon we could leave; And I thought, this is why Christmas needed to be done! Andrew would be gone and I wouldn't have any help with it.

When Andrew called with what he called "interesting news"- the truck with all our belongings tipping over- I thought, "Oh- this is why I needed Christmas done." I spent the better part of a week up in Oregon sifting through our broken things. It was both worse and better than I expected. Everything big is gone, along with a lot that was simply sentimental- except my china! I need to write a letter to Lenox thanking them for their superior workmanship! I only cried over a Christmas Tree cookie jar- Andrew thought that was funny.

But then, I should have expected something, my credit cards were stolen. It was my fault- I left my purse at a restaurant- and so now it's early December, I have no credit cards, no cash, no checks, no house, and no husband around. At least I had a tank full of gas and my mother to feed me! I'm half wary of posting this yet, in fear that I might have to add something else!

But when I went to church today, for the last time in this ward, I had gifts to give to my wonderful counselors that I will miss more than I expected , the young women who I have come to love and admire, and my visiting teaching sisters. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for this tender mercy; a stress free Christmas, if not a stress free December.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

I thought your china was lost! Isn't it amazing how things you think are crazy at the time end up being the best thing you could have done?

Demeron and Jenna Ashton said...

duuuuuude, your credit cards were stolen??? That sucks. Did they try to charge a bunch of things to them? I am also sad to hear that the cookie jar is gone. :( My condolences go to your family.