All growing up, Memorial Day was ALWAYS spent in Idaho Falls with my mom's family (And it was always rainy!). My Grandpa ran a floral shop and my mom helped with the floral arrangements and selling. This meant that my family got some rare cousin time (or rare when we were littler) and that grandma got to have us all underfoot for the long weekend. And as we got older grandpa had us underfoot while we thought we were being helpful. This weekend trip always meant fun and some of my best memories are of the flower shop.
Gramps hasn't done the shop for a few years now, and like most things, I didn't realize how much it meant to me until it was over. It seems odd that I won't even be up in Idaho Falls for a visit. It's sad that some relationships have to give way to the new relationships in my life (i.e., my husband, his family, my siblings spouses, nieces, nephews, etc.). I just don't have the energy to keep up with ALL of my family (there are a TON of them!) and so only the more immediate get the attention they deserve. I guess that's just life; however, it makes me sad.
Any way- I was just thinking of how little I see of all my extended family now that we're all grown. Just so you know, I'm thinking of you all and love you! I wonder what traditions my kids will remember fondly when they're older. I just hope they're as good as the ones I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment