In these pictures I had just wiped the sawdust off so it looks a little streaky. But can you see the beautiful lines in the wood? And the awesome seams in the front?! I know none of you are probably as excited as I am, but I am stoked!
Thursday, October 23, 2008
My Next Project
So this is Grandma Smalls ceder chest (Andrew's paternal grandmother). I must admit that I wasn't too excited about it when it showed up at our apartment - it was so sad looking! I found it today in our storage unit- I was storing our "new" dresser and actually looking for my ceder chest to revamp. Mine was too deep in the pile, so I decided to take home my new friend and see what I could come up with. I was thinking some dark faux wicker to cover the sides and black paint for the top and legs.
When I pulled the fabric (and plenty of accompanying nails) off ,I discovered that there was GORGEOUS, SOLID, ceder wood under there! The appliques had been ripped off, and fabric simply tacked directly over the sides.

In these pictures I had just wiped the sawdust off so it looks a little streaky. But can you see the beautiful lines in the wood? And the awesome seams in the front?! I know none of you are probably as excited as I am, but I am stoked!

So now I'm ordering some new hardwood appliques and trim, and then I'll be re-staining and shellacking. I never new refinishing could be such a high!
In these pictures I had just wiped the sawdust off so it looks a little streaky. But can you see the beautiful lines in the wood? And the awesome seams in the front?! I know none of you are probably as excited as I am, but I am stoked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so excited you are salvaging Grandma's cedar chest! What a lot of work - but it already looks so much better. She would be impressed! Can't wait to see the finished product...
Erin, how fun, I want to come play!!
How funny, this blog must have really had an impression on me. Cuz after reading it I actually dreamed about it. Wierd, huh. Have fun with those projects! That's amazing.
Post a Comment