Monday, April 30, 2012

Our Yard!


So here's our yard- It's getting crazier by the day since we keep finding out more and more of what we have. The pictures are of two separate photo shoots, one from a month ago and one from yesterday.
 Our front yard. Andrew's been mowing up a storm with his new lawn mower.

 This is some rare plant that the previous owner cultivated and loved into existence. Luckily it's so established at this point that I don't have to do much to it. It's call trillion something-or-other. The blooms turned a really pretty purple color then fell off. Wish I had grabbed another shot!

 One of the front yard bushes starting to get it's blooms. These didn't last long but were very pretty.


 This is the rhubarb a month ago...
 And this is the rhubarb now. Crazy how it just exploded! I've gotten to be quite the accomplished strawberry-rhubarb pie maker since I don't know of anything else to do with it. We are looking into using the leaves as a pesticide, which I hear works great. If anyone has already tried it, let me know.
 Random flowers. The purple are some type of primrose. Not sure what the pink or yellow are.

 This is my favorite! It's called a golden azalea. So gorgeous and it sits right outside our back door.
 Lilacs mixed in with our climbing rose bushes.
 And asparagus! Which I hear takes years to establish and grows incredibly fast.
 These are Calli lilies on the left and some plant that looks really familiar on the right. The lilies are spread all over the yard in random patches. Not sure quite what to do with them all.
 And our rose patch. I counted over 30 bushes and they are still alive. So that's good! Next year we plan on transplanting them to the front yard or along the fence, and I think we'll have to adopt some out just because they're so many and we really want more of a lawn for baby girl to play in and not get all scratched up.
 Andrew has been weeding for weeks now and is trying to figure out a way to not have to keep up with it. He's currently trying Preen and has been talking with other gardeners for more ideas. He really loves working in the yard and I'm really glad because I haven't been able to help out much. Oh, that's our plum tree in the back ground!
 One row of grapes. These are a red variety. We have two rows of these and a row of white grapes mixed in with our marrionberries and boysenberries.
 One of our two blueberry bushes.
And some strawberries. I hope our ward likes jams for Christmas cuz I don't know what else I'll do with all these berries we'll have!

All in all we feel very blessed to have had this house sort of fall in our laps! I haven't even taken pictures of all the plants because they haven't bloomed yet or are rather boring looking (I'm thinking of the bay bush. I don't know what to do with bay leaves!) but we have hydrangeas and rhododendrons and a few other exotic plants that I'll post later when they are in bloom.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

The plant by the calla lillies is a hosta. I wish mine was thriving as well as yours-- I was surprised it came back at all this year because we have slugs, which tend to eat hostas. The joys of gardening. : ) Love it!
PS- orange oil seems to be working on getting rid of my ants. For the moment.

Sharece said...

O my goodness! That yard looks like so much fun and so much work! I first thought your rose bushes were raspberry bushes. =) I would love to have fruit growing in my yard. So far all I've got is strawberries, but I love them. `

Veronica said...

I guess I have a lot to say about this post. We used to eat rhubarb kind of like celery, but we'd dip the ends in sugar. Not everyone's cup of tea, but we liked it (you need your own sugar hill since you'll be double dipping to get the sugar to stick). Also, my grandma uses plums and other fruits to make fruit leather (like fruit roll ups). It's a great treat and freezes well!

~Mindy~ said...

Your yard is BEAUTIFUL!!! How fun to have all of those different flowers and bushes and plants to grow (and already established, which definitely makes it easier!)