Thursday, February 9, 2012

Big Huge Post about our House!


Oh dear, where do I start?

Our new house was built in 1981 (same year Andrew was born!) and has only had one owner; a retired widower who loved his yard. So the house in a lot of ways is brand new, but very out of date. The 2nd bathroom I don't think was ever used along with the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms judging by the fixtures and flooring. But the yard is CRAZY! I counted over 30 rose bushes alone as well as blue berries, black berries, boysen berries, grapes, hydrangeas, a gorgeous plum tree and I don't even know what all else. I feel so overwhelmed with all the work we'll have to do to keep up with the yard. I think we'll have to terminate most of the roses, but I'll post pictures of the yard in spring when everything is blooming and alive (hopefully!).

Inside the house has been busy, busy, busy! My parents were wonderful enough to fly out to help with the move and painting, and then drive a totaled 24 hours to bring up some furniture that we had left in Utah with them. The last trip they were also finagled into helping me tile the kitchen and bathroom counters. Whew! Thanks so much Mom and Dad! No one has better parents than I do! (Except maybe Taylor...LOL). And Andrew's brother-in-law Steve has been so good to help us with putting our sinks back in place after Nikki and I tore them out. So I've just thrown on before and after pictures and will do so as we continue to finish up projects.

Master bath, before.
In between.


Master bedroom, before.
In between.



Living room, before.
Finished!
ummm- we did paint it a light brown, same as the kitchen and 2nd bath, but you can't tell from the picture.
Kitchen before.
Erin the pregnant bandit- we were sanding so I had to wear a mask.
So for those of you who know my mom, this won't come as a surprise. We had a rounded edge on our kitchen counter-tops; when you tile, you can't do rounded edges. Hence I give you; Nikki and the Reciprocating Saw!


We now call this Nikki's Nook.

Finished!
Our wonderful sink! Thanks again Steve!

2nd Bathroom, Before. I absolutely hated the rust color counter tops and just took it for granted that they would be going. Andrew had other ideas and was less than pleased when he came home one day and they were gone. Oops!
2nd Bathroom in between

Finished!

Thanks again mom and dad!
Andrew and I love our new house and love the space, and hope to see everyone here soon!


3 comments:

Demeron and Jenna Ashton said...

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I especially love the new sinks! Well worth all the hard work!

Veronica said...

The tile looks great!

~Mindy~ said...

Okay 1: I LOVE the green!!! Someday when I have a house I know I'll be in for more than a few years I've told Jon that I will paint fun colors throughout - and I think this green is going to be on my list! (He's too concerned about "resale value" since we know we're moving in 3-5 years, bah!) and 2: I love your countertops, and the tan, and your mom - Love it all!!! Seriously you have the best taste in decorating! Can't wait to see pictures of the yard!